Mood disorders are medical conditions that are known by their excessive lower and elevated moods. Some examples of these disorders are bipolar disorder and depression. If you struggle with this type of disorder, you may have heightened moods one hour and depression afterward. Sometimes, these moods vary quickly. Other times, they switch over from day to day or randomly. Either way, mood disorders often disrupt a person’s life.
If you struggle with a mood disorder, reach out to us today at Harmony Oaks Recovery Center in Chattanooga, TN. We want to help you gain control of your moods and feel more stable in your life.
Types of Mood Disorders
As noted, there are different types of mood disorders. They each have their own set of symptoms. Some of the types of mood disorders include:
- Major Depressive Disorder (MDD): Low self-esteem, persistent feelings of sadness, fatigue, hopelessness, decreased interest in activities, and irritability (the first episode usually presents itself during the ages of 22-28.
- Dysthymia: Mild forms of depression with low-grade symptoms that last for 1 year or more
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression): Alternating periods of elevated mood and depression causing a lack of interest in things or an altered sense of reality
- Substance-induced mood disorder: Caused by substance abuse and usually leads to depressive symptoms (mostly heroin, meth and alcohol cause this disorder)
As you can see there are quite a few mood disorders and these aren’t even all of them. If you struggle with any of these things, please let us know. We have a mood disorder treatment program that can help.
Causes of Mood Disorders
There are numerous things that can cause a mood disorder. Learning about the causes can help you to determine what disorder you have and what treatment you need. Some common causes of mood disorders include:
- Environmental factors
- Life events
- Stressful jobs
- Financial issues
- Loss of a loved one
- Traumatic event
- Substance abuse
Any one of these things could have led to your mood disorder. However, no matter what the cause may be, our team is here to help you.
Mood Disorder Treatment Optionsy
There are also a wide variety of treatment options for mood disorders. Some of the most common include:
- Medication: SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, and MAOIs
- Therapy: Group therapy, individual therapy, dialectal behavior therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, family therapy, interpersonal therapy, and trauma-focused therapy
- Lifestyle changes: Yoga, meditation, better sleep, healthy social interactions, exercise, and a healthy diet
- Inpatient treatment: Various programs including the above treatments and more to help people manage a mood disorder and overcome underlying issues (outpatient and inpatient options)
All of these treatment options could help you to get your life back. They can help to manage the mood disorder and teach you healthier methods for managing moods and your lifestyle.
Get Mood Disorder Treatment Today
Do you have a mood disorder? If so, don’t hesitate to get the help you need to overcome underlying issues and manage the disorder.
Contact us here at Harmony Oaks Recovery Center in Chattanooga, TN to enroll in a mood disorder treatment program today.
Most Insurance Accepted
As a member of the Harmony Recovery Group family of treatment programs, we are able to work with many private insurance plans.
Let’s talk about how we can help.
A Life in Recovery Can be Yours.
You deserve to become your best self. With decades of combined experience in the field of addiction medicine, our staff knows what it takes to build a foundation for recovery.